Thursday, August 2, 2007

365 days later...


One year ago today, we'd placed nearly all our worldly possessions in that truck and were driving south on 75 with our hearts in our throats to begin our new life in GA. What was all so unknown then has become familiar, and people I didn't even know existed on the planet have become my friends.

Change is hard to embrace, but it is made easier by the kindness of those we journey with each day. The littlest things were meaningful to me back then--the friendliness of the checkout ladies at Publix, a neighbor who I'd just met who, without hesitating, loaned me a quilt when I knocked on her door at 9:00 that first night, another neighbor who let me follow her to school the first day so that I would know the "back route" that saved time, the small group leader who welcomed our son into his group that first Sunday at church and gave him the opportunity to find a place to belong, and the director of children's ministries gave me a chance to serve.

These and many other events over the past 365 days have helped me trust God more, and believe in humanity more. Now I have the opportunity to "pay it forward" with 2 new families who have just arrived in the area. Their husbands work with mine, and are from CA and OK. I hope to be as helpful to them as many were to me, because in doing so, my experiences will be redeemed for their benefit.

Thanks to all of you who have played a part in our transition from IL to GA. Keep looking for ways to invest in those around you. You may never know what a difference it will make...

2 comments:

Lydia Fiedler said...

Hey - where did you live in Illinois?

Hope U had a lazy fun weekend!

Tandra said...

What a wonderful heartwarming story!