Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Late Night Baby Card

I got a late start on this card tonight because Bob and I listened to audio from the Starbucks shareholders' meeting today. Some cool things are coming, folks! But that's not what you're here to read about and see.

Kristina Werner is a professional graphic designer who works at SU! and shares her wealth of design sense at her blog. Today, she posted a photo of a room and issued a challenge using this color combination: Groovy Guava, So Saffron, Blush Blossom, and Wild Wasabi.

I have a cousin whose wife is expecting their first child in a few months, and there's a shower in a couple of weeks. They don't know what sex the baby is--how refreshing!--so the card needed to be neutral. Since I'm not able to attend, I thought this challenge was the perfect nudge to create a baby card to send along with my gift.

What do you think? It seems a bit too airy in the middle for my taste, like the focal image is too small. I like how the letters on the large triangle corners give it a wooden block feel, and I'm pleased with my first attempt at paper piercing. It adds some nice detail. Like I shared a few days ago, I'm not a big pastels (SU! translation: Soft Subtles) gal, but this gave me another chance to work outside my comfort zone.

Stamp sets used: So Many Scallops (retired SAB 2008), Jumbo Outline Alphabet.

Check out Kristina's blog over the next few days and she'll post links to all the cards made using this combination!

Edited: Sorry! I used the wrong blog address for Kristina's website, but I've fixed it now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Love the word "baby" and the piercing is awesome! I enjoy Kristina's blog too. Great job with the challenge!

Tamara said...

Your card looks great--I don't think it's too "airy" in the middle. I love the paper piercing. I am dying to get a template so I can start using that technique too. Good job!

Alex said...

This is adorable Jenn- love the colors of this card! The piercing is awesome, I love it!!

I would LOVE to hear what is going on as Starbucks, it's one of my favorite places to hang out - LOL! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

sandra said...

perfect colors for a "neutral" card