Saturday, September 22, 2007

Presents...for me?

My husband took me out last night for dinner, and at the village plaza there is a new gourmet mini grocery store. We went in to look around at their selection, and just before we were going to leave we came across this--a Vosges Haute Chocolate Exotic Candy Bar. I'd heard about this from a friend of mine from Chicago, and wanted to try one. There were several choices, but this particular one had also been mentioned by name by this same friend, so we chose it. Note the ingredients--goji berries, pink Himalayan SALT, and deep milk chocolate.

Having worked in chocolate retail for a long time, I knew that even though it said MILK chocolate (I prefer DARK), 41% cacao was a good sign of a rich chocolate.

What an interesting experience! We didn't notice this until after we'd eaten some, but found this somewhat comical. Who needs directions on how to eat chocolate?!?

Anyway, what you really want to know was if it was worth the $6.50 we paid for it. I think so. The chocolate was fine, as in fine wine, and I liked the berries (although I wished the pieces were bigger), but I'm not so sure about the salt. Yes, it was distinctly present. Not in a bad way, but I eat chocolate to satisfy a craving, not to create a cyclical process. The salt made me want to eat more, but it didn't leave me with the happy mouth I usually experience after I eat chocolate. The best way I can describe it is like eating a chocolate covered pretzel that has been well salted. Great tastes, but something's a little off. Bob thought the addition of salt was genius.

When we got home after dinner I was really tired, so I went bed before Bob and our son did. This morning I realized that Bob had asked for wrapping paper, but that I hadn't received any gifts! They presented them to me after my 6-hour shift at Starbucks. I got a gift certificate for a bookstore to purchase a book that's due out in November and a second gift certificate for 2-30 min. massages!! That was worth waiting for!

I have more to share, but I'm going to put it in another post. Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

What nice birthday gifts! And that candy bar sounds good to me!