Thursday, September 20, 2007

Altered DVD Tin for Little Mill

My son's middle school is brand new this year, and its mascot is the mustang. So, I was excited when I saw the Boho West line that SU! launched with the new Fall-Winter Collection catalog. Earlier in the week you saw a card I made with the recently acquired Wanted set. The reason I waivered in purchasing anything from this line initially was because what I had in mind to use it for I couldn't get anyone else excited about.

I want to make items that could be used as a fundraiser for the new school. I took it to the PTO President, and while she was initially excited, she hasn't been responsive to multiple follow-up inquiries I've made. Well, tonight I broke into the paper and determined to come up with some design that I liked. I'm going to take it in and present it to the principal and let her know that I can make more for anyone who'd like to place an order. I'll determine some sort of donation amount to go to the school for my efforts.

What do you think? I'm very pleased with the cover. I stamped the words "Little Mill" and the mustang, along with 2 stars in colors that coordinate with the designer paper. Then I remembered something I'd seen. A Levi's jeans tag was recreated out of paper by crumpling it and brayering it with Creamy Caramel ink. Since I'd just acquired a brayer, I thought I'd give it a try. Suddenly I had something that looks vintage! The edges had been distressed (Melissa, you left your distressing tool here!) and inked with Chocolate Chip ink before the crumpling. I played around with the idea of a lasso made from twine in varying sizes until I happened onto this layout. It's adhered with sticky strip and adds dimension.

For the inside, I figured out something important. Past designs had included a pocket for storing notes, but the pockets were very tight, and I'm not sure how useful they were. The mojo was flowin' tonight because-eureka!--it came to me to add 1/4" to the overall width and then create an 1/8" score on each side by which to adhere the piece to the base. This created some space and should serve the user much better.
resistance I added is the word "The final piece deStangs" to the pocket. The letters are stamped in Sage Shadow, the edges trimmed in Chocolate Chip, crumpled, and then brayered with Creamy Caramel.

I'll let you know what the response to this is. Stay tuned tomorrow for another one of these and a card I made! They're great fun--you oughta try them. Remember, I can sell you the tins and/or a kit...details to follow this weekend.

1 comment:

Charmaine (CharmWarm on SCS) said...

LOVE these altered tins you make! THey are just wonderful!