Friday, May 14, 2010

So Long, Farewell...

All demonstrators have a favorite color combination. I like Elegant Eggplant and Apricot Appeal together, even though you don't see this often in my cards. I just don't think many other people enjoy it as much as I do, so I save it and use it only once in awhile. Well, Apricot Appeal is one of the colors being retired June 30, so I thought I'd better use it while I can.

Fellow demonstrator Andrea Walford highlighted a technique called Craft Resist, which uses Craft Ink to create a background color over an embossed image. I don't have any Craft Ink other than Whisper White, but I was curious to see if the technique would work with Classic Ink. I followed Andrea's instructions by first stamping my image, from Watercolor Trio (it's SO versatile!), in Versamark and then embossing it with Clear Embossing Powder.

I swiped it with my EE pad until I had the amount of color I wanted on the Whisper White card stock. I could've left it a bit more streaky, but I'm pleased with the result. The ink that covered the image wiped off, and would've been stunning on its own with the white serving as a stark contrast to the color. But Andrea removed the Embossing Powder by melting it with an iron so that she could place color with Stampin' Pastels on the image.

I applied the dry heat and, sure enough, it melted! So I used Old Olive and AA chalks and I like the soft look it created. I used Q tips to apply the chalk; I wish there was a better tool, but it got the job done. I matted it on Whisper White and mounted it on Apricot Appeal.

In my stash of EE card stock, there was this 4.25" x 11" piece, folded to overlap and with rounded corners; I'm sure it was left over from another card attempt that didn't work out. I decided it was perfect and stamped the same image I used in the technique in Versamark to create a background pattern.

I have a friend whose birthday is coming up early in June, so I wanted to create a way for her to be able to keep the art after she was finished with the card. When I pulled out the 5/8" Old Olive grosgrain ribbon so that it would help pull that color out of the main image, the idea for a bookmark suddenly popped into my head. I adhered the entire piece using temporary mono adhesive. It can be removed and the sticky stuff rubbed off; then she can use it to mark her spot in her favorite book.

Since this card ended up having a bookish theme, I'd like to know what you're reading this summer. I just finished Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork. Fantastic! What do you suggest?

1 comment:

Paper Potter said...

Oooo! I've just added that book to my "look for it in the library" list. It sounds much like a movie I've seen recently, though I can't remember the name of it. (Sorry)