Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hand Drawn Coffee Card Redux

Well, the boys are downstairs playing Halo 3, so I have the evening to do as I please. What pleases me is to read blogs and make cards! As you know, I'm putting together the cards for this Saturday's SAS. Nothin' like the pressure of a deadline to spark creativity! I'm half serious about that. Being a journalist in another life, I know that my brain can be trusted to come through for me in the "11th hour".

This afternoon, I went back to this cute little card I made last week. I wanted to adapt it to a full-sized card, but I didn't want to use a normal fold. I made a z-fold card 2 years ago, and I couldn't remember how I did it. With this in mind, I searched SCS this morning before work to see if anyone had posted the scoring measurements, and even played around with some grid paper to try to figure it out. I got frustrated and ran out of time, so when I came home I abandoned that approach and something else came to me--the matchbook fold!

A 4.25" x 11" slice of Baja Breeze card stock--sorry, I'm stuck on that right now--is scored at 4.5" and then 1.25" in from the other end. This creates a place to tuck the top flap in, thus creating the "matchbook." The bottom of the card front doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the folded up flap when it's tucked in, so the only thing I had to do was make sure I placed the adhesive to keep the flap closed below where the card front tucked in. (Didja follow that?)

Adapting the rest of the card's original elements to the larger size wasn't all that difficult. I went to my Creamy Caramel scrap stash and found several pieces that seemed like they would work. The main mat for the image is 2.5" x 4 1/8". I added 2-1" x 4.25" strips of Riding Hood Red across the top and bottom. The Very Vanilla piece is 2.25" x 3 7/8". I stamped the cups in RHR this time instead of BB, and cut them out--very carefully around the "steam"--and then colored them using my blender pen for the BB and the Stampin' Write CC marker. I popped them up on dimensionals, and the natural light creates the shadowing they need to look grounded!

The sentiment is from Best Yet, recently retired from the Hostess line in the last catalog. The hearts are punched using the 3 Heart Punch; tired of hearing me mention that tool yet? It's great, I tell ya! You NEED one! I added the Whisper White Taffeta ribbon to give a little more visual interest to the overall look.

What do you think? What do you do for fun when the rest of your family is otherwise occupied?

No comments: