Thursday, December 20, 2007

Playing with New Toys!

Santa came early to my house with the help of Mr. Brown (UPS man) and a pre-order from the Spring-Summer Collection preview catalog. If you're wondering why you didn't get a preview catalog, it's because I don't believe in teasing people by showing them things they can't buy! However, I do want you to see a cool product SU! will begin carrying in the S-S catalog, which debuts Jan. 1, 2008.

This is just your everyday, run of the mill glass jar with a green lid. I had put it through the dishwasher to remove its label and the glue that held said label in place. I wanted to fill it with Graham's Fine Chocolates & Ice Cream hot cocoa mix, but I had a color scheme I wanted, so first I had to alter the lid.

I took a page from Kristina Werner at her blog, where, in the latest video from "Make a Card Monday", she showed how to change the color of a brad. She used Versamark and White Embossing Powder, so I decided to try to change the color of the lid. It worked! I applied Versamark to the lid's surface and then liberally applied the EP. I melted it with the heat tool. I had to do two layers, but it was well worth the effort and not hard. The edges were the most difficult. I used tweezers to hold the lid so it wouldn't burn my fingers and it turned out just as I wanted it to.

But I said I was playing with a new toy, and EP isn't new, except to me. What is new are rub-ons!
The design comes on a sheet with many images, and has a sticky backing that allowed me to transfer the images to the jar. I cut out what I wanted, placed it on the jar, and used my stylus and the sheath for my sharpest scissors to rub them on. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Isn't it pretty?!!

You can see these and the tons of other beautiful things in the new S-S Collection catalog on Jan. 1. Some of you have already told me you'll be out of town, but if you're saving the date, please leave me a comment so I have some idea how many are interested!

One last thing: today is my sweet man's 44th birthday! He's a tremendous partner and I'm SO thankful to God that we met 18 years ago. He didn't want me to take this photo, but I have my ways of getting what I want!

I may get one more post in, but probably not. Tomorrow evening will be spent doing laundry and packing in preparation for our trip to the great white north for Christmas. I'm taking the computer with, though, so there may be some future posts from the frozen tundra that is Chicagoland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in town on January first.... and I just came back from chciagoland: pack your longjohns!!!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby! LOVE the cocoa jar!