Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In Sympathy

I told you last week that I made a sympathy card because I knew I was going to need one soon. Well, the death I've been expecting hasn't happened, but one I wasn't did. One of my stampers, Christy, is saying goodbye to her mother-in-law tomorrow. She died suddenly, and I just heard about tomorrow's funeral this morning.

I've had this image laying around on my craft table for about 10 days now, ever since Kristina Werner's color challenge for So Saffron, Old Olive, Not Quite Navy, and Bashful Blue. I decided this was somber enough to serve my need.

The watercolor paper adds some nice texture, and it's hard to tell, but the flowers (from retired Art of Life set) were colored with markers, misted with water to blur them a bit, and then stamped. I also created a grid pattern on the paper to give further visual interest. The ribbon on the left creates balance, since the paper is significantly smaller than the standard 4.25" x 5.5" frame of the base.

The saying is a random stamp I've had for years and years, and it's my favorite to use for sympathy cards. For me, turning to God is natural during times of trouble, and it comforts me greatly to view God as a refuge, as this verse in Isaiah says. It's from a company called PrintWorks (don't even know if they're still around) and Annette Allen Watkins is listed as the designer. By the way, I had to peel the price tag off the side to obtain this information, and I paid $7.20 for this single stamp.

I don't like how life doesn't stop when someone dies. I want things not to be normal for awhile, but, of course they are. I don't want to follow my regular routine; it somehow seems disrespectful of the one who died. How do you feel when someone dies? Do you alter your day in any way in light of what you know someone else is experiencing?

4 comments:

sandra said...

I'm sorry for Christy. A death is always hard to understand and I usually cope with it by crying a lot, but keeping a picture of th person in view for the first few days, so that I can remember him/her in happy moments. I usually think of what this person would like me to do, and I usually know that she would like for me to keep living, be happy and remind her with love. it works for me.

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I've recently experienced a couple and wanted to share something my husband's aunt told me to help me understand/cope with the losses. She simply said, "God needs angels". That simple statement helped me and I hope it can bring you some peace and comfort at this sad time.

Nicole said...

Beautiful card (despite the circumstances).
I found the link for the Printworks stamp you used: http://www.rubberpaperscissors.com/stamp_pages/caring/catalog_pages.html
it's a classic - thanks for sharing it.
Nicole

Lydia Fiedler said...

Oh girl, I'm sorry. My heart goes out to Christy. I agree with you - doing your normal routine makes me feel guilty. I suppose that's why mourning periods and dark clothing evolved. Seems so much more respectful. Your card is lovely and I'm sure she'll be touched. Tell her she has prayers coming from the Lone Star State. "A Grief Observed" by CS Lewis helped me through my toughest loss. The first page says it all.

Take care.