Monday, March 7, 2011

Oodles to Share--Day 6: Three Little Words Sympathy

Ugh. This has been the year to have to make sympathy cards, and I've made more than I wanted to in the first two months of this year. This card was for a friend of ours whose mother passed away very suddenly. We had just been talking with him, checking in for an update on the health of his dad, who had had a heart attack during the holidays, and so we were shocked when we heard of his mom's passing.

I didn't get around to getting this card in the mail as promptly as I would've liked, but with sympathy cards I feel it's almost better to be belated than on time. There's so much hubbub around the funeral and there's a lot of attention from friends and family. But the grieving process is a long one, and getting a card a few weeks after the fact is my way of letting my friend know that my husband and I haven't forgotten his pain.

I selected this set as one of my FREE items with a qualifying order of $50 I made recently. Sale-A-Bration is a great time to purchase items you need to have in your stash and get something for nothing at the same time. Three Little Words is a versatile set, with five sentiments, the phrase "three little words" and a flower.

For this card I used River Rock as my base, and Not Quite Navy as my complementary color with Very Vanilla. I colored the flowers with my Stampin' Write Markers and did the same thing with the embellished "T". I cut it out and mounted it on top of the original stamped image, in truth because I'd colored it another color before, but also because I liked how it accentuated it. I kept it simple because it was for a man, and I didn't want it to be too froo-froo.

Is there someone you need to send a card to, but think the time has passed? It's probably not too late, and that someone will be glad to hear from you. Make it and send it today!

1 comment:

Paper Potter said...

Such words of wisdom, Jenn! I, too, believe that when you find something out, even much later, it's a great way to hug across the miles and let the card speak the words even more warmly. I love what you did with the cut out T. It's just so elegant! I've been making sets of Sympathy cards for some friends of our and for myself because we've all evidently gotten to "that age" where they are needed more often than I can seem to catch up. LOVE your color combination, too!