Saturday, March 19, 2011

5 Minute Writing Challenge: Waiting

You may not know this about me, but I'm a writer. I graduated from college with a degree in journalism and worked as a features writer and editor for a small Chicago suburban newspaper for a year. I worked for a book publisher for 2 years. I've done freelance writing and editing off and one for years. I enjoy expressing myself with words, and I really enjoy reading other people's thoughts that they publish. Perhaps that's why I'm addicted to reading blogs. Blogland is a marvelous place for someone with my bent.

That's why I've begun participating in Five-Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo at gypsymama. She picks the topic, and the rules are these:

set a timer.
write for 5 min.
publish--UNEDITED--what you write.

Here's mine. More papercrafting on the way next week.

"When I think about waiting, a song by Shannon Wexelberg comes to mind:

You are in the waiting,
in that moments of my life
when my faith and hope collide.

While my heart's anticipating
just how and when You'll move
that's when You prove
You are in the waiting too."

I'm not very good at waiting. I have had to work on it over the years, so that means God has more for me to learn in this area. I feel like I'm always waiting, really. Waiting for my husband to come home from work, waiting to pick my son up from school, waiting for the light to turn green. Waiting for my friends to have time to connect, waiting for God to tell me what I want Him to reveal about what He wants from me. It's not the most pleasant exercise, but I'm coming to be more at peace with it. It's just part of life, so I might as well accept it, right? If I don't, I may never learn what I'm supposed to. Good things come to those who wait. Especially on the Lord. They have strength renewed, and who doesn't need that? Perhaps the strength is renewed so that there's more patience for the wait."

Why don't you try this? It's good to just write and not over think your thoughts. If you try it, let me know and link up with Lisa-Jo.

No comments: