Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sharing Sympathy

I HATE having the occasion to make a sympathy card for anyone I know. They're a real challenge, mostly because I want to create the right tone with color and text that will communicate how much I care for the person who is grieving. I don't like them to be really somber, but appropriately so, you know?

This card is for a friend of mine whose father died over the Memorial Day weekend. His death was sudden, unexpected, and followed on the heels of her mom's death less than a year before. She is a very strong person, but this has hit her hard. Her world changed in an instant.

I chose muted colors for my card--returning former InColor River Rock, Always Artichoke, and some flowers and two other patterns from Urban Garden Designer Series Paper. I had several of these flowers and so I cut out a full one, and then created two layers with portions of the others.

I don't have a sympathy stamp set, so I went with Thinking of You from Kind and Caring Thoughts. I inked it using Craft Ink and embossed it with Clear Embossing Powder.

Since my friend is part of my Starbucks community, my partners will have the opportunity to share some words of comfort with her and her family. I trust this and a hug will minister to her during this time.

1 comment:

Paper Potter said...

This is a stunner, Jenn! I have some of that DSP left over, and as much as I hate having sympathy cards on hand, we just have to have them and what better "embrace" than giving something beautifully handmade.