Saturday, June 12, 2010

For the Graduate

This year demonstrators across cyberspace have made it easy for me to make cool cards for the graduating seniors in my world. Not that there are many, but it's good practice for 2013 when mine and his buds will be grabbin' their sheepskins.

Dawn Olfchefske posted this card on her blog, complete with video instructions. The original design is from Pam Hoffman. That's how the crafting world works, and I love how generous everyone is! The video takes a LONG time to load, but it's worth it for the step-by-step tutorial. She also shares how she made the tassel. I made mine using the silver taffeta ribbon and following the same directions.

Our high school's colors are black, silver, and purple, and I enhanced the card design to incorporate them. The base is Going Gray, the mortarboard is Basic Black, and the mat on the hat is Elegant Eggplant. The letters (not SU!) are embossed in silver. I'm thrilled with the look!

The inside reveals the cool fold that makes this card look like a mortarboard (how many times can I use that word in this post?). I like that there are two places to put a message. I used two stamps from Live Like You Mean It and the Congratulations from Well Scripted. These were inked with Elegant Eggplant and Going Gray. There was even room, thanks to the fold, for a little diploma.

I created a very simple money holder with the bottom Whisper White piece of card stock by not putting adhesive on the top. I love how the design hides the cash!

The grad is going to Georgia Tech and majoring in pre-med. Kudos, Melissa! Her brother is in my son's class, so I'm sure we'll hear about her freshman experiences in due time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, Melissa loved this card!! When she opened all were amazed by your beautiful creation. Thank you so much for joining us Saturday. Hope you enjoyed the Banana Split!

Kathy