Friday, June 11, 2010

Baby GIRL Card

It seems everyone I know is having BOYS this summer, so I was thrilled when I read the birth announcement on Facebook of Neelam's third little girl, Mira. Neelam and I met three years ago at the annual SU! convention, when her two oldest girls were not quite sure they were happy about Mommy being away from home for three days. Mommy, though, certainly was! Now I'm sure those not-so-little-anymore girls are beyond excited to have their little sister join them at home.

I've always struggled with baby cards, and I don't tend toward pink or frilly, given the choice. As I thought about what stamps to use for Neelam's daughter's card, I wandered around my craft room and my eyes fell upon So Many Scallops, a retired set that I'm planning to sell that has a baby image. I pulled that one out of the case, and I also picked up the daisy design that's part of the set.

I chose Kraft and Pretty in Pink and Whisper White as my color scheme and the base is 4.25" square. I ended up liking the idea of pink daisies better than the image intended for use with baby cards. I had to hand color with my Pretty in Pink SU! Marker the flower, so as not to ink the non-baby related words in the center. To fill the center, I used a .75" circle punch and some retired striped Kraft Designer Series Paper.

I like to customize baby cards whenever possible, so I pulled out a small, non-SU! alphabet and stamped the baby's name using Close to Cocoa ink. Can't WAIT for the new Kraft (renamed Crumb Cake) ink pad to arrive with my order next week!! It's long overdue.

For the interior, I used the scallop circle punch and made some daisies. I stamped one of the circles from long-retired-but-still-one-of-my-favorites Riveting and created the center of the flower with it. The leaves are from my 2-step Bird Punch, which will be returning in the new catalog that debuts July 1. Can hardly wait for that either!

Lastly, I spritzed the entire front of the card with a new product called Smooch Spritz. It gives a nice shimmer to any project, although I think I laid it on a bit thick on this one. I didn't know how it would dry, so I just went with my Mom's motto: If a little's good, a lot is better! In my opinion, it's too much, but oh well.

I have another graduation card to make for a party we're going to this weekend, so be on the lookout for that.

No comments: