Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Card I Wish I Never Had to Make

When I was at work yesterday, one of our regulars came in and got his usual drink. While my boss Kimmy was making it, she asked him how things were going. He replied, "Okay." And then he said this: "Well, actually, Julie and I just found out last night that she has breast cancer." (Yes, he considered us important enough people in his life to share that information with. What a privilege.) As soon as he left, Kimmy shared this with me, and the next words out of her mouth were, "Would you make them a card?" Of course I would, but what kind of card should it be?

I decided it needed to be one that would encourage, yet not contain even a hint of triteness. I went online and searched for quotes about hope. I chose the beginning of one by Anne Lamott, and I think it's perfect. I trust they will too.

Where they are is, most likely, a dark place. I've not been there personally or with anyone in my immediate family, but that doesn't mean I can't imagine, and what I conjure up is a dark hole. That's why the quote by Lamott spoke to me. It doesn't pussyfoot around, acting like something isn't completely out of whack. But it does foster peace by pointing out (by what it doesn't say) that where they are now is not where they'll always be.

I created this using my favorite DSP of all time, Urban Garden. I matted a large piece on Not Quite Navy and cut the flowers out and mounted them so that they weren't completely flat. The ribbon is non-SU! that I found at Michael's. The quote was created by using the Fresh alphabet by PTI and NQN ink.

All of us at the store who know this family will be signing the card to let them know we are with them as they walk this journey. What a community is developing over coffee. I've said it before but it's worth reiterating: THIS IS WHY I CRAFT. Who can you minister to today with your art?

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is just beautiful, Jenn! The cards we hate to make usually end up meaning the most, don't they? They will love it!

adopted1 said...

Wow! This is a beautiful and inspiring post (and as someone who has walked through cancer with family, the card is real perfect too, Jen!) Blessings, Jennifer Dudenhofer