Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Little Inspiration and a Recommendation

The catalogs that SU! produces are so FULL of color combinations, card designs, and ways to use accessories that you could create from just these sample inspirations for days, months, and perhaps even a year and never run out of ideas! That's what I did today. I took my inspiration from the Occasions Mini Catalog. It featured 4 cards made with Real Red, Chocolate Chip, and Bashful Blue. I wanted to see what I could do with that combination, so I went to the closet and pulled out a set I haven't inked up in awhile--A Beautiful Thing.

Truth be told, this set challenges me. Ideas just don't seem to spring to mind when I look at it, so I thought having the colors predetermined would help. This set is a 2-step stamping set, which means it's designed to be layered. This is what I came up with:

The squares are punched with the 1 3/8" punch, and the rest is pretty obvious and self-explanatory. The addition of the row of red flowers around the outside was a bit of a trick to pull off, since I'd already adhered the center flowers with dimensionals. I decided not to tempt fate by trying to fill in the centers! The ribbon addition came about after I went digging in my stash for BB gingham and found 1/4" CC grosgrain instead. The whole thing seems a little like a small quilt, and I'm very happy with it. Now to find a recipient!

On a totally different subject, it's summer, and our livin' is easy. That means more time for reading, one of my favorite past times besides stamping! From time to time I recommend titles, and this one I'm really enthusiastic about for reading aloud to older children or just enjoying yourself. The Penderwicks on Gardam Street is actually the sequel to The Penderwicks: The Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy. The first book won the National Book Award for Young People's Literature. Why am I so high on this series? Let me name the reasons.

1) The author didn't start her writing career until she was 41, and yet she didn't feel she was past her prime. Continuing to pursue dreams, no matter the age, and working to accomplish a lifelong goal are both things to applaud!

2) The characters are very real, and the interactions between the sisters is fabulous to observe. It was fascinating, funny, and endearing. I didn't want it to end.

3) The story has great dialogue that's wonderful to read aloud. I did that with the first one with Emily and her sisters, and they were captivated. If your child isn't a reader or isn't able to read at this level, reading aloud is a way to engage them in the wonderful world of literature.

One caveat: the children's mother in this story died shortly after the birth of the fourth sister, and the resulting situation is handled with sensitivity. It could, however, disturb younger readers/listeners.

If you have any good books to recommend, I'd love for you to leave a comment!

1 comment:

sandra said...

if you didn't read "The kite runner" and "One thousand splendid suns" I really recommend them
For myself, I just bought some Charles Dickens classics that I never read when I was a teenager (to much classics to read in italian...).
cards are beautiful as usual.