Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Color Challenge Inspired Birthday Card #2

As I said in my last post, I have 3 family birthdays in the next 7 days. Kristina Werner's weekly Color Inspiration Challenge helped me utilize my time wisely this afternoon by eliminating the dithering I usually do over color scheme. This week's swatches are: Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive, So Saffron, and Tempting Turquoise. I also was inspired by an old layout created by Jen del Muro for her blog, I {Heart} 2 Stamp.

This is what evolved as I played with the shapes and colors. I used my 1 3/8" square punch and chomped out one of every color except TT, since it is the base. Then I set about coloring on the Sale-A-Bration set, Birthday Whimsy. I wanted details of the stamps--a popular trend called "inchies"--so I colored what I wanted to highlight and stamped each on 1 1/4" squares of Whisper White.

I took this picture to help me remember the placement positions of each of the pieces. I have a hard enough time creating a less than symmetrical look, and recreating it after I remove said pieces to adhere them is more stress than I need. Taking the picture allows me a reference point. I added the strip of WW with dots stamped from an old Hostess Set called Riveting to create some more whimsy and break up the TT base. This card will be for my brother-in-law, who is turning 43, and so there was no option for ribbon.

The interior uses the entire cake image--stamped off once--and the accompanying sentiment. Now all that remains is getting the family to sign it and it'll be off to him in the mail. Unfortunately, his is the last of the three, so it's back to the craft room to create one more so that my sister-in-law (or my sister, I haven't decided who's getting yesterday's card yet) has a card in time for her special day.

9 comments:

MEMORIAS EN PAPEL said...

I like your card is very original, I love stamping, but here in Panama I can't find stamps.

sandra said...

this is very cute and I like those colors together!!

Jess said...

Oh this card is so much fun!!!! what a creative design!

Traveling Mama said...

How fun! Love the diagonal!

Erika said...

Thanks for you nice words on my blog!! I'm just getting started...I need to create more posts, for sure! I love your card...I really like the different colors for each letter...it seems so festive!!

Becky said...

Your card is fabulous! I love the way you used the squares!

Anonymous said...

love your card! what a cute idea! thanks for stoppin by my blog :)

Deanna said...

Super cute idea!

Ericka said...

Very nice card and concept. I like how you staged the squares. Very unique.
Thank you for posting on my blog as well and your nice comments.