Monday, May 16, 2011

Mother's Day, After the Fact

Because I'm still catching up from my blogging hiatus, let me show you the card I sent my mom for Mother's Day. I want you to see it because it is a unique take on the Framed Tulips Textured Impressions Folder. The folder embosses 4.25" x 5.5" card stock, but if you follow a few steps, you can transform your rectangle frame into a square! I first learned of this option for this folder from some wonderful demonstrator in blogland who provided step-by-step instructions. I can't remember who it was, but I'm grateful to be able to pass it along to you!

First I embossed the standard size card stock with the folder set up so that the Sizzix label was face up. It's important to note the position of the folder before you open it up to move the card stock around, because if you don't, you might end up with a square that has the pattern embossed on the sides and debossed on the final side. NOT what you want, trust me!

Reposition the card stock without flipping it over by moving it down 1.25" from the top of the start of the design, NOT from the top of the folder. I marked my folder on each side with a Sharpie so that I wouldn't have to remember this. This will position your card stock so that you use the bottom of the frame to create your square. (The reason there are 2 sets of marks is because I wanted to have the option to put the folder in the other way and get the impression from the top. I tend to overthink things, though, so just pretend those aren't there for now.)

Place the folder back between the plates used to make the impression and place the part of the folder where the embossing is going to be done at the front of the machine. Then, slowly crank just until the folder barely begins to be pressed, then reverse direction. If you go too far, you run the risk of creating a double impression, and you don't want that. The picture shows the newly created square!

For my card, I used the flower image from Silhouette Sentiments, colored direct to rubber. I stamped it on an oval created using the Ovals Original Die that I had sponged with Baja Breeze and Certainly Celery. I applied the Whisper White taffeta ribbon using Snail adhesive and then bunched it on both sides of the focal image. A few strategically placed glue dots helped keep the pleats flat.

No comments: