Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Impressionable

I hate puns, but I couldn't resist using one to express the main technique used in this card. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Textured Impressions Folders for the Big Shot, and this card uses one of my go-to folders--Vintage Wallpaper.

This is another of the cards I designed for a birthday card sweatshop stash making event. I started with a piece of Very Vanilla card stock and centered it on the VWTIF (I love acronyms!). After the Big Shot did its job and created a lovely, deep impression, I pulled out my brayer and Riding Hood Red classic ink and began layering color over the debossed side of the impression. This is quick and easy and fun because you control how much color ends up on the panel. The only tricky part is not pressing too hard and applying color to the debossed pattern side.

Once I was done with that, I looked for an appropriate sentiment that wouldn't be overpowered by the background piece I'd just created. It couldn't be too small or too large, and this one from All Holidays was just right.

I chose only one color to complement the RHR--More Mustard. I enjoy working with earthtones, and these two work as well together as the traditional hot dog condiments!

The final touch I thought to add was using the same TIFolder to deboss the envelope flap for the card. It creates such a stunning look so easily, and when it is found in the mail pile, whoever's getting it will be so impressed!

When making multiples of a card in one sitting, I recommend following this process:

1) Cut all your card stock: card bases, mats, and sentiment pieces.

2) If employing a particular technique, such as embossing or applying color with a tool, do all these at once and then put away your tools.

3) Stamp all your sentiments at once, using a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig if need be to insure all line up as you like.

4) Put the cards together assembly line style.

Before you know it, you'll have a set of cards. It's great to have these ready to go, because you never know when you'll need a card!

No comments: