Friday, September 17, 2010

Please Excuse my Cold-Fogged Brain

I made this card on Wednesday, and I meant to create a post about it so that you could read it yesterday. But I've been taken hostage by my body because I have a cold, so my brain is preoccupied with silly stuff like making me cough and requesting that I blow my nose. Ugh. That's probably TMI for a crafting blog, but it's a legitimate excuse, I tell ya!

Okay, here's the deal with this card. I wanted to make a card that didn't use the A2 format (4.25" x 5.5"), and I'd tagged a simple one online for such a time as this. (See, even cold brain can't subvert my creativity.) It measures 3.25" x 6.25".

I have a lifelong friend--I've known her since fourth grade--whose birthday is in about a month, but since she lives on the other side of the world (a 12 hour time difference), I have to get her card in the mail EARLY.

So I pulled out some retired DSP, the name of which escapes me because of my cold brain, but which is just plain fun and very much in the spirit of birthdays. I also had some retired rub-ons (that sounds weird) that coordinate with this DSP, so I used them too. I avoided this sentiment for a long time because I wasn't sure what it meant, but I've decided that it's an updated version of "hi sweetie!", so I'm cool with using it.

I transferred the rub-on to a piece of Certainly Celery and created a little fun mat with scraps of Whisper White, Riding Hood Red (yes, those are teeny tiny strips, not 1 piece) and Bashful Blue card stock, and some 1/8" Whisper White ribbon. It wasn't until I was finished with the card that it occurred to me that the blue used in this color scheme is actually Baja Breeze. Oh well, not going back and redoing it all now!

The button is from the Designer Button Regals Collection in Riding Hood Red. Instead of trying to thread the 1/8" Whisper White ribbon through the actual buttonholes, I just covered the holes up with the bow!

To create some visual interest inside, I used my Candle Crazy Builder Wheels and rolled them along the seam of the card. I colored the candles with CC and BB SU! Markers and this is when I discovered my aforementioned color faux pas (even with cold brain, I can still spell in French!).

Well, this makes two things I've accomplished since getting out of bed this morning: working seven hours and writing this post. I think I need to nap now. If my cold brain releases me from captivity over the weekend, I'll post some more creations. Hope you're NOT sick so you can enjoy the weekend!

No comments: