Thursday, September 30, 2010

Getting a Jump on "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

EDITED TO ADD: Some of you were not aware that the box I made for the Hershey's Nuggets is a variation of the Halloween Treat Box I posted about yesterday. Here's the original link to her tutorial for that box, off which my box is based: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicnScratch#p/u/11/yMbujJsmxxE. Scroll down in this post to find MY measurements that will change her square box into my rectangle box. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm scared to say this out loud, but Christmas is only 86 days away, and many of us will need gifts to give as early as Dec. 1, so subtracting 24 days from 86--62 days isn't a lot of time to get ready! ACK!

When I saw the Jolly Bingo Bits in the Holiday Mini Catalog, I liked the images (which come in clear mount as well as wood block), but wasn't sure I'd invest the money for both the inchies AND the coordinating large Bingo Board stamp SU! was selling.

While my dear friend and veteran teacher Darcie was visiting Labor Day Weekend, she sold me on this set by sharing her template for a bingo board that I could print off my computer! This helped me see the gift-giving potential this set has, and I'm here to share the results with you.

The first thing I did was color direct to rubber with SU! markers all 24 images from the set and create a bingo board. My idea is to create 4 different versions of this board and give the set to a teacher. Bada bing, bada boom--instant activity for use during the holiday season, whether as a reward for good behavior or as part of the class' Christmas party. Any room moms out there in need of a great game for the party? Here you go!

Once I finished with the bingo board, I had my husband scan it into the computer and then I printed two copies of it on Very Vanilla card stock. I cut the squares apart and mounted them on squares made using my Scallop Square Punch, and the 48 pieces are now a great memory game! This is another great gift for any teacher who needs something for a center in the classroom. (Thanks to Cindy at Heart's Delight Cards for the inspiration!) Wouldn't it also make a cute stocking stuffer? I see you nodding your head yes...

The box I made to store them in is a recycled box from Starbucks that gift cards come in. I'm sure if you asked your friendly barista, one or more could be procured for you for free! If you don't live near a Starbucks, Cindy posted a tutorial here for making a box.

The third thing I did with the stamps is colored them and stamped them on 1" x 2 5/8" Avery mailing labels (Avery 8250). I wrapped these around Hershey's Nuggets and had the goodies for a great little hostess gift. I needed a box for these sweets, and used Angie Kennedy Juda's template as a starting point, but a mixup in the scoring created this happy result.



Instead of scoring the portrait side of an 8.5" x 11" sheet of Cherry Cobbler card stock at 2.5" and 6", I scored it at 2" and 6.5". Then, instead of scoring the landscape side at 4.5" and 6.5", I scored it at 4" and 6". My memory was a little faulty--perhaps I could benefit from playing the matching game!

The box became a rectangle instead of a square, and I cut off the part that would create the closure so that the box was open. I took a 1" strip of Old Olive card stock and used the Scallop Trim Border Punch on both sides to make a delicate in appearance yet sturdy handle. I secured it at each end using Antique Brads. Victoria Crochet Trim adhered with Sticky Strip around the top of the box, with a matching bow stuck on with Glue Dots completes the box. This will hold 18 nuggets. Nice amount to share...or not.

So, what do you think? If you like this set as much as I do, contact me or purchase it through my online store. When you do, I'll send you a template for the bingo board and you can get crafting immediately. Then you'll be ready to enjoy "the most wonderful time of the year".

No comments: