Monday, September 20, 2010

Lovely as a Rose...but with a Little Light

With the holidays just around the corner, this Ornament Punch will be put to good use creating cards using the stamp sets it coordinates with. But I like knowing when I purchase a punch that it'll have other uses than just the obvious one it was intended for.

That's why I was excited when I saw a few versions of roses made with it. Over the weekend, I conquered my cold brain (with the help of a post-work nap!) and made one myself! I decided I wanted to try making the version that has an electric tealight in the center. Who doesn't like the idea of soft light to create atmosphere?

I chose Cherry Cobbler card stock as my petal color, as I thought with Christmas not all that far off, it would make a great table decoration and smart gift. There's a fantastic video tutorial by Kathy Braun, and it provides step by step instructions. The project uses just 1-8.5" x 11" sheet of card stock, and it took about 30 min. to assemble. You can purchase a set of 6 electric tealights for $7 at that big box store that starts with a T. So, for under $20, including the cost of the punch, you can give 6 gifts!

This version of the tealight rose uses 18 petals for the rose and 3 for the leaves. You could add more if you want. The edges of my petals are sponged with Bravo Burgundy to help create the 3D effect. You could also add Dazzling Diamonds to the petals to create fantastic shimmer. I might try spritzing it with Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz to see what that does.

Click on this link to view all the other projects I've made with this versatile punch. If you'd like to order the supplies to make this project, click here to go to my online store and use the item numbers to purchase what you'll need:

ornament punch: 119847
card stock of your choice: http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx?group=20
Sticky Strip: 104294
Glue Dots: 103683
embossing stylus--for rolling the petal edges (non-SU!)
electric tealights

It also might be fun to apply some rose-scented oil to these! Let me know if you try this!

No comments: