Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thanks to the Butcher

So, what kind of card do you make when you need to thank your local butcher? A card with MEAT on it, of course!

A small group of couples that Bob and I have been part of for 18 months joined forces Dec. 30 and made a meal for about 100 people in Gainesville who came to the Good News Shelter. We are a group of only 6 families and wanted to provide a balanced meal complete with main course, vegetable, fruit, bread, and dessert.

As we were discussing the menu, I shared that the idea had occurred to me to ask our two independent meat markets in town if they would consider donating the 16 lbs. of beef we were going to need for the chili. I was too cowardly to go ask, but my friend Stacey wasn't! As a result, all the meat was donated by both markets.

I said that I'd make cards for all of us to sign to thank them for their contribution, and so I sat down to design something I thought a butcher would like. The most recognizable cut of meat I could think of was a t-bone steak, so I tried my hand at making one from card stock. My husband still contends it looks like an infected tooth, but the rest of the small group members knew exactly what it was when they looked at it!

I used Ruby Red for the meat--I realize now it is steak tartar, but then I was just going for the look of beef when I started--and Blush Blossom for the fat and the bone. I put it on a plate crafted from Brocade Blue and Night of Navy. As the card kept evolving, I realized my place setting needed silverware, so I pulled some Metallic Silver from my stash and sketched them freehand. I made a tablecloth for the whole thing to sit on by using my Basic Backgrounds Retro from PTI.

This is a 5"x7" card, which gave everyone plenty of room to convey their appreciation. I hope the butcher likes it.

No comments: