Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bee Happy

A friend of mine is a preschool teacher and the theme of her classroom is bees. Long before I knew her, though, I did an exchange swap with a blogger friend for some images of these happy bees. Honestly, I can't remember who manufactures them, and I'm not supposed to mention any competing companies to SU! here anyway.

But they're too cute not to profile at all! I just love how cheery they are, and when I came across them again as I was doing a major stamp room clean sweep, I decided to not hoard them any longer, but give them to my friend.

I chose a 4.25" square size, since I didn't want to try to come up with too much to put around the main images, which were only 2" square. I used Crushed Curry and Soft Suede from this year's InColor collection because they reminded me of bees. It was so relaxing to color these little guys with my IC Markers. I added Ruby Red as an accent.

I played around with the layout for awhile, but knew I wanted to do something that would mimic bees' stripes. The striping is more obvious on the cards at the top of this post than in these last two (double click on the top one to see in larger size), and I incorporated some Whisper White on those so that I could place some sentiments from Absolutely Fabulous. This set--sorry, it's retired--is a great font(thank you Kristina Werner for lending your amazing handwriting to a set!) and a perfect size for these smaller cards.

Since I used hearts on all of them, I had a strip of RR that had hearts punched out of it. It became a background border and I am tickled by the look! I left these two with the SS base blank. It's good to have a stash of non-specific cards in hand that you can customize when the need arises.

It's snowing right now here. It's a quiet, soft snowfall--no wind to speak of, so the flakes are just gently drifting toward the ground. It's beautiful to watch, and school was let out early in anticipation of this event. It's supposed to worsen as the evening progresses, so we'll see what that means for me tomorrow morning as I attempt to get to work by 5am! Right now, though, it's a rare site to behold here in GA.

No comments: