Monday, September 7, 2009

Thank Y' Kindly

I've owned the Wanted set for 2 years, and every time I've pulled it out to make something, it has been a major challenge. Strike 1: it doesn't have a sentiment, unless you count "Wanted", which can only apply in so many situations with certain folks. Strike 2: I'm a city girl, so channeling my inner "country" is like visiting a foreign country where I don't speak the language. Well, hallelujah, I found a way to like this set before it incurred its third strike!

It all started when I visited Donna Moore's blog and saw this cool woven effect (second picture) done around a scalloped circle. I'd seen it awhile back, but had never investigated how to achieve said look. Now I really wanted to know. A quick email to Donna, and the answer was in my inbox!

It's SUPER easy, which is what I like--it makes you look all swank and stuff when you're really not! Simply punch a scalloped circle and attach a length of linen thread on the back. Come up between the top two scallops, count to your right three scallops, and wrap the thread behind the circle in the notch between the third and fourth scallops. Come back up 1 notch over from your starting point and repeat. Around and around and allemand left with your left hand...I mean keep repeating until you finish back where you started.

This became the starting point for this card. After I made a few more (they're addictive), I colored direct to rubber on one of the circular designs in the Wanted set with my Really Rust, Sage Shadow, and Chocolate Chip SU! Stampin' Write Markers. I stamped it on Very Vanilla card stock and punched out the design with my 1.25" circle punch. On the third circle, I used "thank you very much" from a retired set called Bitty Basics.

I didn't want to complicate the card with competing eye candy, so I chose a subtle piece of Designer Series Paper from the coordinating Outlaw pack (also retired--sorry, I'm trying to use up my stashes), and paired it with a piece of SS card stock. The base is 3" x 6" RR.

This is one of the cards we'll be making at this month's Stamp-A-Stack. Please leave a comment if you're interested in attending! The date is Sept. 19, from 10a-1p, at my house. Y'all come by now, y'hear!

No comments: