Monday, February 18, 2008

Feb. SAS Card #4--Chalked Foliage

The weather here yesterday was wonderful. It RAINED! Yes, for about 5 hours, we had a steady downpour that resulted in almost 2 inches! Since Bob had spent the day Saturday aerating the yard, spreading grass seed, and then covering it all with straw so that the dogs wouldn't track in red mud (losing battle), we were very pleased. I also like rainy days because they're great for curling up with a good book, in front of a fire if possible. Rainy day? Check. Fire? Check. Aaahhh....

Another reason I have to sigh contentedly is that Spring is just around the corner here. One of my favorite things to do is watch the leaves bud on the trees. They are so fresh and their colors seem so pure and clear. That's what I wanted to evoke with this card.

At each month's SAS, I try to give those attending a chance to work with something in detail. As the title of this post indicates, this month one of the cards will be colored using chalks.

The chalks are produced for SU! to coordinate with the 48 colors in the 4 color families, so choosing a palette of greens that complement not only each other but the base color of Wild Wasabi was not something I worried about. The greens used all coordinate with each other, so there wasn't a possibility of creating something that looked hideous.

The chalks were applied using the blender pen, which is a tool regular attendees will be familiar with. We have used them in other projects to place color from the lid of a stamp pad when a marker wasn't available. In this case, the blender pen is just a very tidy way to place the chalk right where you want it. Q-Tips are just too unpredictable and messy!

The rest is pretty easy to figure out. I stamped the focal image, which is from the Level 1 Hostess set called A Little Bit of Happiness (the Feb. SAS invitation book mark also used a stamp from this set), with Wild Wasabi to create a background. The panel is mounted on Bordering Blue and River Rock.

I'll be back later when I figure out the final details of the last SAS card. It's almost finished, but I'm not completely happy with it. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

sandra said...

I love coloring with chalks on the driveway with my daughter, so I'm looking for coloring with them on a card too!! it's very pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job with it being an inspiring card. those of us who have months to go yet before spring comes can look at this and have hope!

Connie

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh I LOVE it! I used to use my pastels all the time. I'll bet your customers LOVE your camps!