Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sympathy Card

I learned yesterday that the man who was my pastor for the first 20 years of my life passed away. He died of a brain tumor and wasn't much older than my parents. While I haven't had contact directly with the family for years, my parents have, and have kept my sister and I appraised.

I wanted to communicate with the wife and her children what he meant to me, but I can't seem to put it into words even though the card's complete. I'm not sure why words are failing me, but they are. He has such a place in my heart because he shepherded me, taught me, influenced me, and was my friend from the time I was little until the early years of my adulthood. I don't think we are supposed to forget the people who introduce us to Jesus, and I certainly can't forget Pastor Mark.

His life was not perfect and he made some very poor choices in the middle of it that had huge consequences. Still, he leaves a legacy that includes some very good results, and I'm thankful for his life. I hope others will remember him with grace too.

No comments: