Friday, April 24, 2009

Cheater Watercoloring...Just in Time for Mother's Day

Editorial Note: Since posting, it occurred to me that I didn't give props to Laura Fredrickson for her inspiration for this card. Check out her blog--it's AMAZING! Also, the Red used for the flower is NOT Rose Red, but Ruby Red.
I have a group of stampers I'm meeting tomorrow, and my hostess asked me to put together a mini Stamp-A-Stack. Instead of making 10 cards, I'll be teaching them how to make 4 cards. It's going to be a fantastic affair; women eating lunch and spending 2 quality hours in each other's company being creative. In my mind, it doesn't get much better than this.

My hostess also asked me to come up with a Mother's Day card that could also be a general use card, since some of those coming don't have mothers who are still living. I came up with this beautiful watercolored three-paneled version of my much-used Wonderful You flowers and leaves. This is so easy, I'm afraid you won't believe me. I can provide references who will vouch for me that I never lie.

Here's the skinny:
1) Stamp the image on watercolor paper using Black Staz-on ink. This ink doesn't run when it gets wet. Key. Very key.

2) Choose Stampin' Write markers--mine are Rose Red, Summer Sun, and Old Olive--and lay down some color along the edges using the brush tip. Don't color the whole thing in. Really. Don't.

3) Take an Aquapainter or a thin-tipped paint brush and pull the color away from the lines you've created to blend them and fill in the empty spaces. It's just that simple!

After I finished coloring and blending, I cut the panel in three equal sections and double matted it. The base is Cameo Coral and the mats are Rose Red and Very Vanilla. I used Old Olive 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, and, in case you're wondering where the "Happy Mother's Day" message is, it's inside the card.

Think you could do watercoloring this way? Show me. I'd love to see a card you've made using this technique. Try it. You'll like it.

Gotta run. Happy weekend! Get OUT and enjoy the SUNSHINE!!

1 comment:

Vicki Burdick said...

Wowzers!!! This is so pretty!!! I really want to get that set, I have always liked everything I see with it!!!