Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bold Birthday...Another Study in Contrast

I wanted to design a bold, masculine birthday card using a set that was part of this year's Sale-A-Bration special offerings. I wanted to pair it with Party Hearty, a set I really think has lots of potential, although I struggle with it for some reason. I settled on an InColor color combination: Pacific Point, Riding Hood Red, Tangerine Tango, and Kiwi Kiss. After all, if someone else has already done the coordinating work, why shouldn't I take advantage of it?

Since I wasn't reading blogs or looking at SCS, I had to find a layout that would work. I'm not really good yet at making them up from scratch. So, went through the Stampin' Success magazine that demonstrators receive monthly in search of inspiration. Why I hadn't done that before, I'm not sure! What I like most about this layout is the slit in the card at the right where the KK striped ribbon ties. Never would've thought of that in a million years...

While the result was a good first effort, it was very challenging to read the message, which says, "congratulations on getting a little older". It was so not popping like it should. In fact, it was kinda dead.

So I started again (something I really don't like to do) and created a second version, this time using Versamark and white detail embossing powder to create more of a contrast. MUCH BETTER, don'tcha think? This was super crazy challenging to pull off, though, since every little teeny tiny speck of white EP wants to show up on that PP base. It'll make you want to cuss. And the placement of the "congratulations" REQUIRED the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. (Can you guess why the stripe of KK card stock is running across the top of the first card? Crookedly stamped word!) Really, you have to get one of those if you don't have one. It just elmininates so many stamping headaches.

Speaking of bold, check out this lovely pedi that I received today! My feet spend many hours in the dungeon of my crocs, and this weekend I'm going to be sporting sandals, so...where do you think these feet are takin' me? I'll tell you tomorrow!

1 comment:

sandra said...

very nice card (outside your comfort zone a little...I noticed you do not use bold colors too much) and...very nice feet!!!