Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Four Square Treat Box

I saw this tutorial by Beate Johns last week, and thought it would be an interesting way to package candy as a gift for a friend, coworker, neighbor, or teacher for Valentine's Day. It's super easy and goes together quickly--it's all about scoring and cutting squares in 4 different sizes. A few eyelets and some ribbon and it's ready to be filled. The best part about this project? It can be scaled to accommodate a very small amount to a very generous amount of treatness. Let me show you how this is done.



My box started out as an 8.25" square piece of Basic Black card stock. I scored it at 2.75" and 5.5" so that I had 9 quadrants. Next I scored the four outside squares diagonally. Creasing the folds well is essential for this project to be a success. Then I set about to cutting squares.

The squares are 2.75" square, so the Basic Gray squares are 2.5" square. Red Glimmer Paper, a product featured in the new Occasions Mini Catalog, measures 2.25" square. This paper is fantastic!!! I love the shimmer and bling of glitter, but I HATE the mess. As far as I'm concerned, SU! could manufacture this in every color and I would be a very happy crafter!


The squares that have been scored diagonally to create the corners for the box measure 2.75" as well, but to accommodate the scoring, the Whisper White card stock is cut at 2 3/8" square, and the Hugs and Kisses paper from Love Impressions Specialty Designer Paper is cut at 2 1/8" square and then cut diagonally.

The only thing to be aware of when using this paper is that the words need to be positioned so that they are readable when in their final orientation.
I used my Crop-A-Dile to punch small holes in each of the triangles and placed silver eyelets from the Metallic Eyelet collection to reinforce the holes.

I threaded Basic Gray taffeta ribbon (retired, but there's Real Red and Basic Black and Whisper White that would all work beautifully) through the holes and cinched the corners together and tied a neat bow.

This box holds an entire bag of Dove Dark Promises (which I chose because I like dark chocolate and because their wrapping matched the color scheme!), but Hershey's Kisses would look adorable in here too.

It's not too late to order these supplies and whip up a few of these! You can order through my online store or contact me through the comments section.

1 comment:

Paper Potter said...

Ooooooo! I love how you have spelled out the intricate measurements for us! Kudos!