Monday, August 23, 2010

Coached Color Combination

Sometimes I have an idea for a great card and I know which stamp set I want to use, but I can't settle on a color combination so that I can get started. Ever been there? Well, SU! knows this and has, with the recent Color Renovation, revamped its old Color Wheel and created a Color Coach. This tool is a deck of 55 double-sided cards and each one features a color from our collections. It's so nice to be able to see what a color looks like in a larger swatch, rather than trying to discern it from the tiny representation in the catalog!

The other immensely cool feature is the back side of each color card. There are 2 suggested color combinations! This is especially helpful since there are new colors in our collections that I don't have any experience pairing with others, so having selections at hand that I know have been tested by the graphic designers at SU! puts me at ease and lets me get down to crafting, instead of staring at my card stock feeling stuck.

Here's what the Color Coach selection I made helped me create. I had been using the Brights Collection almost exclusively since the Color Renovation, and I wanted to do something different. I looked up the Cherry Cobbler card, and went with the combination of Cherry Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie, and Night of Navy suggested.

I used Extreme Elements and finally put to paper what I had envisioned in my head since I first laid eyes on this set: a paint splattered focal image. With the colors already determined, I could turn my attention to design. I used several other images from the set, as well as the sentiment from Party Hearty, colored direct to rubber using the same markers. I had to go and make it a bit more challenging by adding the triangles of color around the image, but it was a fun experiment and I'm pleased with the result.

Do you have the Color Coach? If not, why not treat yourself to this time-saving, stress-reducing, creativity-inciting tool? You can order online anytime. Just click here!

No comments: