Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New Technique=Renewed Desire to Create!

It's amazing how little it takes to get me excited these days. I received an email this morning from Gina K. Designs and StampTV, alerting me to a new video Gina had posted. She featured a technique with pastel chalks, and after watching it, I was excited to try it.

I went into my craft room and saw the postcard I'd used to jot down the color combinations I'd seen in the House Beautiful magazine and hadn't been able to translate into a card, and suddenly I had what I needed to be successful!

One of the things that gives you a good indication about the versatility of a stamp set is how many times you reach for it, regardless of the technique you're using. Such is the case with Wonderful You. A quick count of the files I have in my Picasa account, I have made at least 6 different cards with this set, and it's just right for this card too. Since this month is your LAST CHANCE to get this set before it's GONE FOREVER, I also thought it would be a good choice.

The video for this technique, which she calls "pullin' pastels", can be found here, so feel free to take a few minutes and watch it before you come back and see my finished card.

Is that easy or what? I just chose three coordinating chalk colors, in this case Taken with Teal, Tempting Turquoise, and Whisper White, and applied them in a random pattern to Kraft card stock using daubers. The white one looks blue because I used it to blend all the colors better before stamping.

Well, it's stamping, but it's not. I inked up my solid image flower and leaves stamps with Versamark, and when I stamped each one and removed it, the chalk was pulled off the card stock. Way cool, way fast, and way beautiful results!

The base is Very Vanilla, and it's just a 4.25" x 5.5" piece, so this is more of a postcard kind of card. The layers are made with Taken with Teal and Very Vanilla and Kraft. Just before I placed the layers, I remembered that the Taste of Textiles pack had some striped Kraft. I got that out and held it up for approval, but then I saw the dotted vellum! AHA! Its dots are done in Not Quite Navy, which is also a coordinating color with Taken with Teal. In fact, when placed against the VV base, they almost look more teal than navy. Marvelous, dontcha think?!

This card is going to be one of those we make at this month's Stamp-A-Stack, and there's still time to RSVP. Just let me know by Friday if you can attend. Interested, but don't live in GA? We can do this by mail, so leave a comment or click on my profile to access my email if you're interested. If you leave a comment, please be sure your profile has an email address listed, or I can't contact you!

3 comments:

sandra said...

I like it a lot!!!

Bonnie said...

Very pretty. I live in Texas...hmmm would love to know about stamp a stack by mail.

Jenn in GA said...

Bonnie--Go to my profile and send me an email with your address or phone number and we can discuss details!