Thursday, June 21, 2007

I have a Father-In-Law too, so...

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the inside of this card, but I am excited to share with you the layout of it. This is called a Trifold card, and it's incredibly versatile and a fun change from the standard 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card style.

Take a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock, aligned portrait style, and cut it at 3 1/2" vertically. Turn the 11" side to the blade and cut off 1/2". Then you have one long strip. Score it at 3 1/2" and 7" and you now have three squares of equal proportion.

Using the scoring blade again (love that option on my cutter!), place the point of the first square in the blade trough and line up the opposite corner in the trough, creating 2 triangles when you score it. Skip the middle box and repeat the process on the box at the other end.

Fold along the score lines and you will end up with this fold! The design on the outside was created using a solid 3 1/4" square of SU! Whisper White card stock. I stamped the paisleys from the Polka Dots and Paisleys set in chocolate chip ink and then colored them with Really Rust and So Saffron Stampin' Write Markers. The pale blue was created using a blender pen and the Taken with Teal ink pad. Love how that works when you don't have the marker color you need!

After the coloring was done--so relaxing!--I aligned the points like a diamond in the cutter and cut the piece in half, which created the card's front! The ribbon is brown grosgrain and is attached on the back with 2 glue dots, another great invention!

The interior was a 3" square of Whisper White with a mat of Cool Caribbean and So Saffron for a single paisley colored like the ones on the front. I used the Happy Father's Day stamp from All Year Cheer II and it was done! Dad's not all that expressive, so I won't probably hear what he thought of this card, but I hope he felt special.

If you're a visual learner, here's a link to the tutorial I used when I was first learning how to make this card: triangle trifold card tutorial

Here's a second card that uses the same layout, just so you can see how the card can be adapted for any occasion:
















I knew I needed to put something together a card in a hurry recently, and this layout is fast and fun! This used one of the stamps from the Simply Sent Friendship Shapes kit and the rainbow colors from the Bold Brights family. So festive, don't you think! The interior one was made with Encore Gold metallic ink and the sentiment says "you're special!"

Give this layout a try. I'd love to see what you come up with. Send me a link to your picture in the comments...

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: