Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Simply Adorned--Miniature Wearable Art

SU! has offered a line of high quality, stainless steel locket charms in various sizes for awhile now. I'm not much of a jewelry person; I wear my wedding rings and I have a favorite necklace, but that's about it. When one of my club members asked if we could make some jewelry with stamps for this month's craft night, I suggested we consider these.

The charm we're going to uses inserts that measures " x 1.25". (There is 1 larger size and several smaller sizes, and a round charm too. View all HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.)

It has been amazing to me to see what you can fit in that small space! As you can see from the photo, the front of the charm has beveled glass. The back side doesn't, but I really like that I can create two images, alike or different, so that when the locket flips--and we all know from wearing jewelry that this happens--there's another place to display art!

So far I've created 5 double-sided inserts for the class I'm offering my club, and I'm sure more ideas will come to me. For now, let me show you what I made last night. One of the best features of this project is that, while there are stamp sets that have been specially designed for the SA line, LOTS of stamp sets have images that will work!

I used the beautiful flower from Cute by the Inch , Level 1 Hostess set, for the first insert. The second features the Small Heart Punch, Real Red Glimmer Paper, Love Impressions Specialty DSP, and a stamp from Love You Much on the front. The back uses the 2-Step Owl Punch and Tiny Tags.

The third one is from Silhouette Sentiments, another Level 1 Hostess set, with sentiments from SS and Tiny Tags. There are more floral images in SS that I want to experiment with, but since I already had 1 flower in the set of inserts, I chose to wait.

Since many of my club members like coffee, I thought I'd see if I could use the stack of cups from Morning Cup to create a mini mini watercolor painting! I was so pleased that I chose to use my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig and place my favorite sentiment from that set on a second piece for the back!

Monograms are always nice for lockets, and this makes this project customizable for gifting. Lovely Letters is perfect for this, and I inked mine up in Baja Breeze and Old Olive. I used another image from Cute by the Inch for the back.

About the inserts that are shown in the pictures that feature the charm/locket: I stamped a crown from Extreme Elements in Basic Gray on Very Vanilla card stock and used a Versamarker, Clear Embossing Powder mixed with Dazzling Diamonds, and added some bling. The sentiment is from You're A Gem set from the current Occasions Mini. Tiny Tags has a tiny crown too, so I could've used that, but I like the larger image. The back is a stylized fleur de lis from Extreme Elements that is accented with a tiny pearl. If you wanted a 3D crown, you could clip on one of the Trinket Crowns, which comes with a jump ring and a lobster clasp.

Which leads me to the chains these charms attach to! There is a large link 8" bracelet that is designed like the popular Tiffany bracelet. The cost for that is $7.95 in addition to the $18.95 for the charm. The necklace chains are also links, but not as large, and they come in 24" and 34" lengths for $10.95 and $12.95 respectively. The charm could also be threaded onto a wide ribbon, which makes the jewelry all that much more able to be coordinated to one's outfit.

If you'd like to assemble a group of girlfriends to have a jewelry making craft night, just let me know! I'd be happy to partner with you to bring this unique opportunity to your house. A comment will get the ball rolling. Be sure to include an email address so that I can contact you.

No comments: