Monday, October 12, 2009

She'll Leave More than a Lipstick Stain Behind...

Cheryl is a partner at Starbucks who is moving on to pursue her passion of social work. Her last day will be Wednesday, so it was my task to create a card for her. She's the only one on staff who wears lipstick, and it's not just any muted shade--it's bright pink! We tease her that we always know which cup is hers (we use ceramic mugs, so as not to put more trash into the landfills)! So, I had to immortalize her in the design somehow.

I had Rose Red, Marigold Morning and Vintage Violet (both 2006 InColors), and Old Olive already on my craft table, so I decided to play with those a bit. I was inspired by a card I'd favorited at SCS several months ago. Of course, I had to make it more challenging by adding a fourth color to the mix, one I had no ink pad for, to boot! I putzed with it for 2 days, and finished it this morning at 4:15a before I started the workday.

What stymied me for the longest time was what to do with the large panel on the left. I didn't have any Designer Series Paper that coordinated, so I was left staring at this blank space. In the end, deadline pressure paid off, and I made it into a bookmark! It's adhered to the card front with removable adhesive, so she'll have a little reminder of her time with us while she studies. It says "best wishes" on the back.

The stamps used were It's a Loop Thing, a retired Hostess set, and Say it with Scallops, also retired.

It has stopped raining here--2.5" was predicted, and I'd not be surprised if we got at least that much--so I'm going to trot off to the grocery store.

No comments: