Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Although There Are No Words

A new acquaintance and customer of mine had a tragic loss in her family this past week. Her daughter-in-law, 31, died suddenly. As I was going on with my life, this woman was walking through shock, pain, and deep grief.

Does it strike you, like it has me, how very odd it is that this happens with great regularity? One mile away from my house, someone's life is forever changed, and I would've had no idea, had she not sent me a short email.

When I received her message, I was too paralyzed to do anything except send a short message back expressing my condolences. This afternoon, that didn't seem like enough. So I made her a card, even though we're not all that well acquainted yet.

The colors of the card are Whisper White, Always Artichoke, and Cameo Coral. I broke into a package of new paper I have called Bride Specialty Paper, which debuted in this fall's Big Idea Book. It was designed specifically for making wedding invitations, but stampers never limit themselves to what things are intended for!

Several places in blogland I saw examples of how this paper had been brayered to change its color, so I tried it. WOW! Adding color reveals this beautiful pattern! I really like how quick and easy it is to create texture and eye-catching detail with this stuff.

The sentiment is non-SU!, but conveyed my heart perfectly. I added a little Whisper White taffeta ribbon to pull the design together.

I hope her heart will be encouraged some, knowing I'm walking beside her through this, even if it's not as closely as some who know her better. Who can you encourage, even from afar, with a simple card and your words today?

No comments: