Sunday, May 3, 2009

Celebrating Great Friends

I'm sure that someone's name came to mind when you read my blog post title today. I'd love for you to share with me who that person is and what he or she means to you. My great friend is my husband, Bob. For me, it's always awkward to try to articulate what someone means to me and why. Part of the reason is because when I share what is special about him, I end up describing what he does for me. Is someone a great friend because of what he or she does to make me feel good, or are there innate qualities of that person that come out in our interactions? Perhaps I'm getting too deep.

All that said, here's why Bob is a great friend. He's steady...he almost always thinks the best of me, even when (and especially when) I'm not seeing myself clearly. He's constantly cheering me on, encouraging me in my work, my stamping and my musical pursuits. He's also funny. I need to laugh, and he makes me do that, or at least smile, every day.

Before you become concerned about my card color choices, let me provide a disclaimer: this card is not for Bob! The reason I told you about Bob's great relational qualities, however, is because the stamp set used here is called Great Friend. It's in the current Occasions Mini Catalog, which means it's available through the end of June. One of the things that convinced me to purchase this set was the mix of images and sentiments this set has. The butterfly is beautiful, and the leaf stamp coordinates so perfectly with it, but what really sold me were the other stamps.

Who wouldn't want to receive a card that says, "You're a friend who makes good times great."? That label stamp will nicely frame that sentiment, and the "for you" phrase coupled with the label stamp also makes this set useful for creating small gift tags for Mother's Day, Teacher Appreciation Week, and graduation presents. Sets that serve multiple functions are fantastic, aren't they?

A few quick words about the card: it's on Cameo Coral, and it's a skinny, long note card created by cutting a 2.75" strip of 8.5"x11" and scoring it at 5.5". The DSP is also from the Occasions Mini and is called A Walk in the Park. It coordinates CC, Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, So Saffron, and Basic Gray. I would never have thought to add that last one, but it really works. The ribbon is KK striped. I didn't use the Great Friend sentiment with this card because it was part of a mini SAS I did 2 weeks ago, and I was using it on another card.

Really, do take a few minutes and share with me about your great friend. Then, take a few minutes and do something to communicate your appreciation for that person. A phone call, a flower, some cookies, a CARD. These people need to be acknowledged, and there's no time like the present.

3 comments:

Paper Potter said...

My friend Jeannie and I have known each other for 31 years. We've been through death, divorce, dating, remarriage, seven different moves between us, and even though it's been three years since I've seen her, I just got a call from her Thursday last and it's like we've never been apart for a day. She is God in skin to me.

sandra said...

I didn't have to think too hard...I have two great friends: James, my husband and Paula, my "neighbor'. since I move here 4 years ago, it hasn't been one day without a word of support and friendship. She is my sister, my family here, being mine so far away.

Susan N. said...

Besides my husband my friend Kim and I have known each other 33 years. We used to work together. When you retire from a company you find out who your true friends are and Kim is one of them. We have been through dating, marriage, births, divorce, re-marriage, deaths,joys and challenges. She is my stamping buddy and the sister I never had. I can say anything to Kim and she will give me support or tell me when I am being dramatic. When we are together we laugh alot and always have a good time. She is truly a blessing in my life.