Monday, October 4, 2010

4x4 Cards with Matching Box and Envelopes

I have to warn you. This is a really cute post. If you love little things with their own packaging like I do, this is going to make your day. It's not quite as cute as a puppy, but close.

This box holds 4-4.25" square cards and matching envelopes--isn't it great? Cards measuring 4.25" square are about the smallest size the post office will deliver, and I found the idea for this at Angie Kennedy Juda's site, ChicnScratch. I gladly give her all the credit for the math it took to figure out how to make this box, but I adapted her idea for Christmas.


The idea is simple: use the Vintage Wallpaper Textured Impressions Folder(or any other TI Folder you like, for that matter) and emboss the card base front with it. Then take the Ornament Punch and create a hole in the front that you fill with an ornament from the Delightful Decorations set. I chose Whisper White card stock because I like the crispness of it when it's embossed.
I stamped the ornament with the word "joy" on it in Versamark and heat embossed it with White Stampin' Emboss Powder. Then I mounted it on Stampin' Dimensionals and placed it in the punched hole. A simple knotted ribbon of 1/4" grosgrain in Real Red and Old Olive and the card's complete!


Variation #2: emboss colored card stock (Real Red and Old Olive), but change the orientation of the card base so that you can create a hanging ornament using the punched ornaments left over from the white cards.
I think these would look even cuter with the 1/8" taffeta ribbon as the hanger, but I don't have any. Yet. These will have a Christmas greeting added to the inside, or they could be given blank so that they can be used as thank yous.

The only tiny problem with making 4.25" square cards is that there isn't a ready-made envelope for them. This problem is easily fixed by taking the medium size envelope, sealing it shut, cutting it vertically at 4.5" and creating a flap with a piece of 2.75" x 4 3/8" of Designer Series Paper. Just score it at 1" and adhere it to the envelope. Problem solved.

The box holds 4 cards and 4 envelopes. The directions for making it can be found here. If you'd like to get a group of friends together to get some of these cuties stashed away for December, contact me and we'll set up a date!

No comments: