Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Bee

When I saw this bee on Diana Gibbs' blog, I flipped! She called it "stinkin' cute" and I agree completely! How can you not love this guy? This afternoon I made him using Diana's great tutorial, but I changed up the color scheme slightly to coordinate with some great honeycomb-looking DSP.

The punches used include:

1 3/8" circle punch
heart to heart punch
1/2" circle punch
1/4" circle punch (non-SU!)

The only deviation I took from Diana's bee creation was to make the wings using the narrow heart in the heart to heart punch, since I don't own the small oval punch. The only other essential supplies you need are So Saffron (for the card base and the bee's body), some scraps of Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, and Ruby Red card stock, a little bit of vellum, and glue dots.

The DSP is part of a retired package called Urban Garden, and it was the perfect complement to this little buzzer. I created some hexagons using 1 1/4" squares to replicate the pattern in the paper. To do this, I marked the middle of the square on two opposite sides, and 1/4" in from each side on the other two sides. Then I cut the triangles off using a scissors. If that doesn't make sense, just let me know in the comments and I'll photograph what I mean and edit the post to include a visual.

I had to get really creative when coming up with a sentiment for this card, as I don't have any sayings that fit the bee theme. I pulled out my outline alphabet and the "happy" stamp from the long-retired Polka Dots & Paisley.

This card is one of 5 featuring paper punches that I'm offering at my April Stamp-A-Stack. RSVP deadline is April 18 to attend.

No comments: