Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Easy Elegance Comes with Persistence

This is a post about how it pays to not be satisfied with a first attempt, even if you're under a deadline. I saw this card on Karen Graff-Povis' blog last month and put it in my starred file of cards that I use to inspire me.

As I considered her card this morning (because I have my first stamper coming for this month's Stamp-A-Stack this evening), I began to pout because I wasn't sure how I could replicate the embossed look on the large background piece of Karen's card. Then it hit me. I said I'd feature a card using Bride Specialty Paper (BSP)! Perfect!

I pulled out the BSP and chose Night of Navy (NN) to achieve the contrast I wanted. I used the same stamp set Karen did--Baroque Motifs--and approximated the measurements of the different layers. When I finished, I decided to use the striped pattern in the BSP as the card base, but when I attached the NN layer, it was mostly hidden. It looked okay, but not quite the display of elegance I was going for. I thought there was too much space between the image, the ribbon, and the sentiment. So I began again.

This time, I made the NN layer smaller, 3.75" x 5", and made the Bride DSP layer 3.5" x 4.75". The focal panel, which I wish was glossy white but I don't have it, is 2" x 3.5". The NN layer behind it is .25" bigger. This creates plenty of exposure for both Specialty Papers.

A little touch of white satin ribbon and the card is complete. I think this would be a great wedding or anniversary card, either of which is always good to have in the stash.

1 comment:

emily said...

Would be more than happy to answer any question that you have, bonding or otherwise. :)

Email me at teamalexander@mac. com