Monday, July 20, 2009

Simple Card. Great Cause.

This Thursday, I'm heading down to one of our Atlanta Ronald McDonald Houses to host a night of card making for those in residence. I've been told there will be about 20 parents and kids who could choose to participate in this activity. I saw this card on Tessa Wise's blog and adapted it for kids who have fine motor skill issues. Since many won't find using scissors something fun to do, all they'll have to do is stamp the hearts on the squares, glue them down, and someone will help with the ribbon and the "i love you" sentiment (all stamps from retired Love Matters set). The card stock used for the 1 3/8" squares is Ballet Blue, Certainly Celery, So Saffron, and Pumpkin Pie. The base is Riding Hood Red. I love that I can put my just-retired InColors and some older ribbon to good use!

This is the card I'm bringing for the adults to make. It too uses retired InColor card stock, but these folks won't know and won't care! It also has just one color of ink used--Basic Black. This simplifies and expedites things, since the stamps won't have to be cleaned between uses. I've stamped the flower and the leaves so that all that will have to be done once the panels are stamped and the edge is punched is some cutting. I hope they'll like them!

Being able to encourage people through cards is the main reason I craft. Being able to invest some time in order to make a small difference in the day of someone who is in the midst of a trial I couldn't begin to imagine jazzes me so much!

There are many ways you can be involved at your local Ronald McDonald House. Find your area's house by clicking on the link. The house manager will be happy to inform you of volunteer opportunities available so that you can encourage these families during their time of need.

No comments: