Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Suess-ish Happy Birthday

Every week on Splitcoaststampers, there is a sketch challenge hosted by Rox71. She is prolific, I tell you, and when I'm struggling for a jumping off point for a card, I search through those I've saved to my favorites file. Rox supplies exact measurements for each piece of the card, which makes me want to kiss her! I was drawn to this one because of the large center panel and the cute triangles on the sides.


When I pulled out the retired It's a Loop Thing DSP and went to Fun & Fast Notes because the drawing style is similar. Well, once I stamped the cake image, I wasn't so fond of that large center panel anymore! My cake was too small. So, I stamped it a few times, stacked the cake layers, and created a bigger cake! I used my Aquapainter and Riding Hood Red, Pirouette Pink, and Baja Breeze to color my "red velvet" cake. A little glue on the heart "flames" and they were glitterfied with Dazzling Diamonds! I popped all the layers up on Stampin' Dimensionals, which created a shadow for the cake without having to draw one in.

The triangles were created by cutting a 1 3/8" square in half diagonally. I noticed Rox had cute snowflakes on top of each of her triangles, so I set about to create a similar effect. I didn't notice until I was done tying the knots of white ribbon that I'd adhered the points of the triangles to the base of the card. I wasn't about to redo it though!

I'm so not a pink girl, but I hope someone who's having a birthday soon is so I can send it off! Speaking of birthdays, I need to get my father-in-law's card in the mail! Gotta go before the mailman comes!

No comments: